Function keys, or Fn keys, are special keys found on laptops that allow you to perform specific functions beyond the standard keys on the keyboard. These keys are usually located in the top row of the keyboard and are marked with symbols or icons that indicate their function.
Table of Contents
To use Fn keys on laptop, you first need to identify which key corresponds to which function. This can be done by looking at the symbols or icons on keys or by consulting user manual for your laptop.
Once you know which keys correspond to which function, you can use them by pressing and holding Fn key while pressing corresponding key. For example, if you want to adjust brightness of your laptop screen, you would press and hold Fn key and then press key marked with sun symbol or the up/down arrows.
Also Read : How to Find Clipboard on PC – Easy Guide
Some laptops also have additional Fn key combinations that provide even more functionality, such as adjusting the volume, turning off touchpad, or activating airplane mode. Again, you can consult user manual or experiment with keys to find out what these combinations are.
How to Use Fn Keys on Laptop
Step 1: Identify the Function Keys
The first step in using Fn keys on your laptop is to identify keys and their corresponding functions. Typically, symbols or icons on the keys will indicate their function, but you can also consult the user manual for your laptop for more information.
Here are some common functions that Fn keys can perform:
- Adjusting the brightness of the screen
- Changing the volume of the speakers
- Turning on/off the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Activating the airplane mode
- Locking the computer
- Switching between screens or displays
Also Read : Why is My Computer Stuttering? Causes & Easy Fixes
Step 2: Press and Hold the Fn Key
To activate specific function using Fn keys, you need to press and hold Fn key on your keyboard. This key is usually located near bottom left corner of keyboard.
Step 3: Press the Corresponding Key
While holding down Fn key, press key on keyboard that corresponds to function you want to activate. For example, if you want to increase screen brightness, you would press and hold Fn key and then press key that has sun symbol or up arrow.
Step 4: Release Both Keys
Once you have pressed Fn key and corresponding key, release both keys. Function should now be activated laptop.
Also Read : Windows Shift S Not Working? – Best Fixes
here are some additional tips to keep in mind when using Fn keys on your laptop:
- Some laptops have function lock key that allows you to switch between using standard F1-F12 keys and special functions of Fn keys. If your laptop has this key, make sure it is not enabled if you want to use special functions of Fn keys.
- Some laptops have different key combinations for same function. For example, some laptops may use Fn+F6 key combination to turn on/off the touchpad, while others may use Fn+F9. Check your user manual or experiment with keys to find right combination for your laptop.
- Some laptops may not have all special functions available with Fn keys. If particular function does not work on your laptop, it may not be supported.
Using Fn keys on laptop is simple and convenient way to perform specific functions beyond standard keys on keyboard. By identifying keys and their corresponding functions, and following steps outlined above, you can easily use the Fn keys on your laptop to adjust screen brightness, change volume, turn on/off Wi-Fi, and more.